Reading Skills for Academic Study
Introduction - Exercise
What sort of things do you read in your own language?
What do you read in English?
Read some of the following texts. There are 30 different written texts.
- Try to identify the type of text. What TYPE of text is it?
- Who is the text written for? Who is the AUDIENCE?
- Why was the text written? What is its PURPOSE?
- How is the text STRUCTURED?
- What is your OPINION of the text? Which of the text types do you like reading? Which of them do you have to read (even if you don't like reading them)? Which do you never read? Why?
- Why do you usually read this kind of text? What is your usual OBJECTIVE when you read these texts?
- And lastly, how does your purpose influence how you read? What METHOD do you use?
Click here for some suggested answers.