Academic writing style
Exercise 2: Passives
Rewrite the underlined parts of these sentences. Instead of using 'people', 'somebody', or 'they',
write a passive sentence with an appropriate verb form.
Example: We can solve the problem. The problem can be solved.
- Prices are stable and we maintain them in this way over
- We define tropical forests here as 'evergreen or partly
- Scientists distinguish methane because it has a large number of
- They reformed the old dilator procedure in 1852.
- In 1916 the government passed the Disease Regulations.
- It was only in the 1930s, in Oxford, that researchers isolated and
- The recent local crime surveys replicate these findings.
- Everybody eventually generally accepted the date 753 BC.
- We next consider a range of rival theories.
- The rules require the subject to answer if the statement is true
- The examiners should conduct the examination in the greatest
- We will confine the discussion to general principles of
- The researchers transcribed many genes and synthesise many
- A further class of solutions in which they separate the main
equation in yet another way has been given by Yurtse.
Press this button to check your answers: