Accuracy in EAP
Many people would say there was a "mistake" in each of the following sentences. Can you identify them? For each sentence, please do four things:
- mark the faulty word or words;
- briefly describe what is wrong;
- try to write a correct or improved version;
- decide how important the mistake is.
- A rentcharge is the right to receive an annual sum out of the income of land every year.
- All of the solutions considered so far have only involved Legendre functions of even order.
- Before spelling out exactly what this means, it is worth first asking whether translating machinery is necessarily irreversible.
- Being in charge, the accusation was particularly annoying to me.
- Finally, it enables the therapist to assess the effectiveness of his own clinical skills and, hopefully, to improve them in future.
- He is a former student who I've not seen for years.
- He is an unskilled labourer and works at odd jobs, but he don't do any of them very well.
- However, there were other patients whose lives had ended by suicide.
- I have now discussed the proposals for replacing all the computers with my colleagues.
- It is felt that less people would be put off attending with other problems if the stigma of going to a clinic could be dispensed with.
- It is just possible that you are one of those rare people who has never seriously tried to diet.
- It may be open to challenge on certain grounds, i.e. if an emergency occurs.
- It was the community in it's purest form.
- It was thought necessary to determine legally that someone had attained the age when they were allowed to marry.
- Jean Baptiste Lamarck (1744-1829) had supposed that the main cause of evolutionary change was because of the "inheritance of acquired character".
- Kinship in these societies had to be completely different to what it was in capitalist society.
- No matter what he says, he has and will always be in charge.
- She could give a better response than that to I and to my friends.
- The category of killings which has come to be known as involuntary manslaughter hasn't nothing to do with involuntariness.
- The committee has not announced their decision yet.
- The emphasis on revolution as ending every stage is, also, much more definately stated than in earlier works.
- The esential feature of these results has been amply confirmed.
- The experiment by Norcross (1958) which used a slightly different version of this procedure produced essentially the same outcome.
- The first really useful realization of the Lie algebra of the Geroch group, was formulated by Kinnersley and Chitre (1977, 1978a, b).
- The more aggressive technologies, those which need a great deal of energy and natural resources and cause extensive environmental pollution, represent a percentage of industrial production.
- Jones and Smith argues that the problem began in December 1942.
- At that time there were hardly any scholarly accounts of the period in question, the only really important biography was that of George V by Harold Nicolson.
- The task - one that involved pedalling on a stationery bicycle - was equally demanding at all times.
- They are, in fact, just the kind of thing the natural philosopher might be interested in.
- This has meant that elsewhere it has been very difficult to clearly assess the extent of the problem.
- Though he has generally been considered anti-intellectual and disinterested in art theory, at this stage of his career he shared the concerns of his fellows of the Petit Boulevard for principles of colour.
- When they were discussing the historical development which led to capitalism.
Check Answers if you want to check your answers: